Ah, Valentine’s Day… That “loved-up” day when everyone is reminded to buy flowers, book a restaurant table as early as January and celebrate that extra special “One”: your “better half”, the person who “completes” you… Well, this year, we say: “HELL NO!”
Who says V-Day is for couples only? Sorry Cupid but, this year, at Sorbet, we’re putting a different spin on it and, in line with the soul of Sorbet – which is all about empowering women (word) – we’re saying, as ladies (and men), we are whole, complete and perfect just as we are – whether we’re in coupledom or not. And, absolutely and, cue Gwen Stefani (AKA No Doubt!), while love is the most amazing, incredible, life-affirming, wonderful, wondrous gift that could ever be bestowed and showered upon us like golden confetti from the Gods, we also know that, as individuals, we’re enough. In fact, we “own” being on our “own” and feeling complete and happy just as we are – with or without a man or a woman by our sides. We are, in each of our individual capacities, THE ONE, and this year we’re celebrating and owning it with pride – and Prosecco, of course! *Pop*
So if you do, for whatever reason, find yourself on your “own”, here’s how to celebrate your freedom this Valentine’s and ensure you feel all the love and all the V-Day feels…
- Round up your best (unhitched) bests and hit the city’s hottest bars, your favourite restaurant or, better yet, your local karaoke. Dine, wine and sing your heart out – reveling in your innate ability to have the most amazing time, with or without a lover by your side. Tip: Make sure songs like “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” and “Holding Out for a Hero” are part of the playlist – just for fun.
- Whether it’s Zac Efron, Justin Timberlake or Kanye (just kidding?), spend the entire night with your ultimate celeb crush. Feast on back-to-back movies, play his/her album on repeat and treat yourself to an eye- or ear-candy marathon. Tip: The night ideally needs to include enjoy a candle-lit, hand-drawn, deluxe bubble bath.
- Party at your place! Host a “One for All and All for One” party at home. Gather your best guys and girls, serve some snacks and sangria and celebrate life and singledom as you know it (and while you still have it)! Tip: Mix it up and ask everyone to bring a friend.
- Dare to spend the night alone at home… Take time to cook yourself a spoil of a meal (try a new recipe!), dim the lights, light candles, put a record on and, lastly, put pen to paper to write about all the things you love about YOU! It may sound lame, but it’s a powerful reminder that true love comes only from and with a solid dose of SELF-LOVE. Tip: You can always write down reasons you’re happy to be single too – or, better yet, manifest your ideal man/woman!
- Since you aren’t spending on anyone else, you may as well spoil yourself a little! Treat yourself to some retail therapy, a beautiful blow out – or a mani at your closest Sorbet…